You have decided to implement some social media marketing tactics to boost your site’s traffic or to enhance your online presence. It does not take long to feel overwhelmed at all that is available out there in the arena of social media web sites. The point of this article is to help you to develop a plan of action so that you can focus your efforts and maximize the limited time that you have to spend on these activities.
1. Use an RSS feed reader. Consolidate all of your RSS subscriptions using a RSS feed reader such as Google reader, and limit your feeds to those within your niche. Choose the top blogs in your niche, subscribe to them and comment regularly. Keep your reader lean and focused on your topic.
2. Set up google alerts for your name and your niche. Consult these alerts daily and follow up with a comment when a blogger mentions you or your blog on their blog.
3. Develop a regular routine for adding new contacts in Facebook, Myspace, and LinkedIn. Be sure to recommend some of your friends to those who are new on the site. You can also find friends with similar interests by looking at the profiles of your friend’s friends. Always include a personal note about your connection or what you share in common when you request that someone to add you as a friend.
4. Start a group in your niche on Facebook or LinkedIn. This will allow you to send messages to your group and gain more exposure and friends. Be sure to communicate how often you will be sending messages to your group and be consistent.
5. Find forums in your niche and develop a profile there. Hang out a bit and get a feel for the group. Begin posting and answering questions, and offer suggestions where you can. Where it is allowed, always have a link to your site in your forum signature.
6. Keep your content fresh, relevant and inspire your readers to take some kind of action. The best way to gain visibility is to offer information that is useful to your readers, which will inspire them to share it with the people that they know.
7. Maintain a laser-like focus. Set a timer and move through your tasks and don’t allow it to become a huge time sink activity.
By consistently taking these actions to promote yourself and your brand you can begin to build a social marketing network that will benefit your business in an efficient and cost-effective manner.